Here is a quick question for you: who makes the best speed square? This is really important if you hope to get the most accurate measurement possible in carpentry work and DIY home projects. This triangular-shaped tool can be used in framing, woodwork, tile work, and any form of task that may require marking lines, protracting, and saw guidance.
There are different types of speed square in the market made of different producers. A lot of these producers can be trusted to make great products, but not much can be said for some others whose products do not meet the required standard for tools in general. If you want to get one, here is a brief buying guide to help you make the right choice.
Top 3 Best Speed Square to Choose
3. Empire 3990 Heavy-Duty Magnum Rafter
- Weighs 1.05 pounds
- Made of aluminum material
- 1-inch measurement system
With this tool, you can mark and cut your workpiece as wide as 12 inches. It has a sturdy frame design to ensure safe but easy use of the tool while working.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Durable mechanized aluminum material
- Great reviews for woodworking and carpentry projects
- Measurements may be a little bit off
This tool is a great one, but it is probably not the best option for the most accurate measurement. You may need to make a little adjustment to the tool before you can use it on tasks that are sensitive to measurement.
2. Irwin Tools Combination Square
- Made from cast zinc and stainless steel
- Perfect for marking 90 and 45 degrees
- Black in color
- Weighs 14.4 ounces
This is the second on our list according to reviews and demands. It is made from durable stainless and steel materials, and it is makes accurate markings.
- Very affordable
- Can withstand rust
- Rates as the best value speed square
- Does not have a smooth finish
- Not an accurate square
Some refer to its weight as solid and firm, while some others think it is a bit heavy but nothing that can’t be handled.
1. Swanson Tool S0101 Speed Square
- Multiple notches
- Cast from aluminum
- Comes with a manual
This is our best answer to the question – who makes the best speed square? It is not 100% perfect, but it has the highest demand in the market, best reviews, and top suggestion. It also comes with a user manual with comprehensive details on how to use the tool.
- Suitable for every measurement required of a speed square
- Notches help to keep track of measurement and making accurate markings
- Easy to use, especially with the help of the manual
- It has a pivot point which can help in markings and measurements
- Not very affordable
- Rough casting
A lot of people do not really understand how to use this tool. The makers of the Swanson considered this and came up with a guide to help their customers understand the different ways this tool works. This makes it easier to use and even more versatile.