Here is a quick tip for you – do not use your metal file in a sawing motion. This is because the cutting teeth of the tool are designed to face forward, and as such can only work when moved in that direction. When you draw it back against a piece you are working on, you’re not just wasting effort, but also risking permanent damage to the teeth. So, the best way to use it is to push it forward against your workpiece, lift and return, and then push it forward again.
That notwithstanding, some metal files are designed with substandard materials, and as such, are not very effective or durable. You need to avoid these brands by all means and go for better ones that are both effective and durable. On that note, you need to know who makes the best metal files.
Top 3 Best Metal Files on the Market
3. Central Forge Precision Needle
- Weighs 3.52 ounces
- 12 pieces in one pack
- The handles are made of nylon
If you are looking for something you can use for simple tasks that are not heavy-duty, then the central forge brand will serve you well.
- Suitable for a finer finishing
- Easy and firm grip nylon handle
- It comes with some duplicates
- Too flexible to be used for heavy-duty tasks
This product is specifically effective when working on hard-to-reach areas on a workpiece. It is affordable too.
2. Tarvol Hand File Set
- 6 different shapes
- Rubber handle
- Made of alloy steel raw material
This brand comes in a pack of six-piece high-quality metal files. They are rated high for versatility, and ease of use.
- It works well on different materials including soft metal, wood, and plastic
- Complete money-back guarantee
- Can be used for different finishes
- Brittle and may break easily when used vigorously
This is not particularly the best when it comes to strength. But it is great for versatility and ease.
1. Mulwark Hand File Set
- Tempered and hardened carbon steel
- Précised double-cut teeth
- Rubber hand grip
This is one of the most popular metal files in the market with multiple great reviews. If you are into DIYs, this will make a great addition to your toolbox. It is designed by Mulwark who makes the best metal files as well as other great tools.
- Perfect for simple projects that do not require vigorous effort
- Compatible with various surfaces including soft wood, soft metal, and soft plastic
- Numerous positive reviews online
- Great for sharpening instruments like knives, jewelry pieces, wooden furniture, etc.
- Does not fit perfectly into its toolbox
- Not a good tool for vigorous tasks
This product is also a bit on the high side, but most customers believe that it is worth it. When used appropriately, it lasts for a long time.