For a lot of us, hiking has been a welcome from the monotonous everyday life. We like to take time from our life and go off trekking with our friends. It also acts as an exercise, and there is a feeling of going back to mother nature. During these trips, we need to take a lot of time to pack our stuff. There are so many things we have to carry. The rucksack seems too small to hold all of them. Often, we do not pay much attention to the more minor things in life. We often forget to take the best socks for winter hiking when we go to a cold place.
Most of the time, we are not even aware of the best brands in the market. We need to do a lot of research before we can buy one. There is always a risk of getting blisters due to the excessive rubbing when you walk. You need to be comfortable during those arduous treks. You can take some time out for those new hiking boots. Pay some more attention to the socks also. They are equally important for your trek. It would have been great if there could be an article in handy. In this article, we have done some research and came up with the list of the best socks for hiking.
How to Choose the Best One?
There are various parameters that we need to check before we can buy one.
The height of the socks. You will need to first select on the height of the socks. Some of them will barely be seen above the shoes while some could touch the knees. If you are also wearing high boots, you will need to choose the socks accordingly. Moreover, the higher socks will protect you against injuries.
The amount of cushioning. The type of weather will also decide the amount of cushioning that you will need. The thicker the socks; you will be uncomfortable as your feet will sweat. Be sure about the weather where you are visiting. You can also have various pairs with different cushioning.
The type of fabric. It also boils down to the comfort level and any fabric related allergies. The common fabrics are cotton, wool, polyester, etc.
And, last of all is the price. It might not be prudent to splurge on the socks but ensure that your socks are comfy enough to bear the hiking trip. Also, you may go for more than a pair or two if your budget supports you.
Top 5 Best Socks for Hiking
5. Icebreaker Hike Light Crew
- It is a combination of Merino wool as well as lycra and nylon
- It has a full cushion and is closed at the toes to prevent blistering
- It can withstand a lot of stretching and resistant to bad odours
It is a crucial belonging for those who are always on the move for hiking and mountaineering. It is an all weather one but also ranks among the best socks for hiking in hot weather. It is a renowned brand since its entry.
- One of the main benefits is that it is breathable and does not send out any bad odour
- It is of very light weight and can be worn at all weathers. It is the best hiking socks for hot weather
- It is one of the few that are renewable and recyclable
- The cushioning is less than the other ones in its category
In spite of having some drawbacks, it is still among the few that could be worn in all weathers, and it also has a great design. It has numerous reviews about its level of comfort.
4. Darn Tough Full Cushion Hiker
- It is made from merino wool and has a synthetic mix also
- There is compression panelling mechanism near the ankle that provides support
- The high density wool is known to last long
The next in the list is the best women’s hiking socks. While more and more women are moving out for adventure trips, we should also ensure their safety and comfort. The performance is great across all categories and is also a great option for women.
- It is able to breathe that makes a number of activities easier for the person wearing it
- It keeps the feet protected and ensures warmth in most conditions
- It also dries out very easily after a wash and is a great one for rainy weather
- It is not the best option for hot weather
It is known to be among the best women’s hiking socks, and it is also among the best for the cool weather. There is a lifetime guarantee which also vouches for its quality.
3. Wigwam Hiking Outdoor Pro
- It is a blend of polypropylene, nylon, polyester and acrylic apart from spandex
- The fabric is not women very tight and allows breathability and better flow of air
- The wicking is great and keeps the feet warm in all conditions
It is one of the best wool socks for hiking made of merino wool and blended with other components. It is also known for its comfort and is popular with the hikers.
- It is known for lasting long and is a unisex item that works equally well for men and women
- It is among those merino blended items that has great wicking properties and keeps the feet in great condition
- While its peers had a lot of wear and tear, it did not show any such signs. Some of the socks last for years
- A drawback is that it is compatible mostly with lowly cut footwear and one may find it a problem while skiing
In spite of a few drawbacks, it is still one of the best options that you can have when you are out on a hike. It comes with a two year guarantee, but one can vouch for its quality and is able to last long.
2. Smartwool PhD Outdoor Light Crew
- It is comfy at its best with the four degree fit abilities that helps to prevents the blisters
- There is unparalleled knowhow that gives the great durability and is comfy all through the seasons
- There is a cushion at the bottom to absorb the impact and impart warmth
When we are discussing the best winter hiking socks, how can it not be on the list? They are just great to be worn on a hike in the winter months. Their reviews say they are the best in the extreme climate.
- Able to withstand high impact and even rigorous workout sessions
- They offer the best cushioning effect for the feet with any doubt
- It is an all purpose product that can be used for the hike as well as during running
- It does not dry very quickly, and that is a severe drawback for the wet season
The product works wonders and finds its place high up on the list of the best socks for winter hiking. However, there are few drawbacks, and it is also quite pricey.
1. Darn Tough Micro Crew Light Cushion
- There are mesh panels which will enhance the flow of air in the item
- It is a blend of merino wool 40%, and the rest are lycra and nylon
- It has the best blend of wool and is also of very light weight
When a product provides a lifetime guarantee without any conditions, we can safely say it is the best. It performs best at all levels of intensity and is breathable as well.
- It is comfy at its best without any elastic at the fore feet
- It is very soft, and the padding is also great
- Made from proper fitting and thin material, it does not have the itchy sensation
- It takes time to dry and does not provide much warmth in the cool places
We must bear in mind that there are no items that will provide all the features you will need. In spite of a few drawbacks, it is the one nominated at the best socks for hiking. It is backed by a lifelong guarantee as well.
When we are going on a hiking trip, we tend to forget the smallest details. We always remember to take with the most important stuff. We must ensure that we also take with us the best socks. It will help us to withstand the strenuous activities that we have to endure during the hike. It will act as a cushion and prevent any injury and also let the air flow and keep the feet in good condition.
We need to have our feet comfortable during the entire duration of the hike. We have done research and listed out in the article what are the best socks for hiking. We sincerely hope that our readers will receive the answers to all their queries and go out on a hiking trip to their favourite location.